General Tom's Christmas Message


For the four previous Christmases I hadn't offered a Christmas message. I've been thinking about this and I think I'll do it this year. You know for the past few weeks, Andy Williams has been reminding us that this is "...the most wonder-ful time of the year..." Well, in may respects, he's dead wrong. The weather in this neck of the woods is lousey. The retail car business, especially this year, is horrible. People with money are afraid to spend it. People without money - well, it seems that there are more of them than ever! What could make this the most wonderful time of the year is that I think we appreciate each other a little more at Christmastime than we normally do. This probably dates back to when we were greedy little snot noses looking for the Christmas loot. It's funny how things naturally evolve. This morning I heard a commercial on the radio about the perfect Christmas gift. What was it? I don't remember. I do know that it was something that my wife, Mrs. General Tom, would not appreciate. That's too bad, because it's the day before Christmas and I haven't started shopping for her.
I've had some wonderful Christmases and some so-so Christmases. The best Christmas that I ever had was when I was alone, far from home. I got to appreciate the warmth of my upbringing. To me, that's what Christmas is all about. Sure, there's the religious significance, but the appreciation for who you are and what you have and who you have to share it with.
So, I end with sincere wishes for a Merry Christmas with hopes that your team manages to win this week.

No comments: