DeNiro Screws Up, I think...maybe?

I don't get this. I thought that I was conservative, I know I'm not liberal... maybe I'm confused, at least on this one. Here's what happened.
 
It was this past Monday night at a fundraiser for President Obama. The First Lady was to speak and Robert DeNiro was at the microphone.
 
Before I continue, I should point out that Robert DeNiro is a white American actor who is married to a black woman. Maybe you knew this, everyone at the fundraiser did.

In retrospect, the Oscar winner says, "My remarks, although spoken with satirical jest, were not meant to offend or embarrass anyone -- especially the first lady."

Here's how he introduced Michelle Obama, "Callista Gingrich, Karen Santorum, Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white first lady? Too soon, right?"

Newt Gingrich called the remarks inexcusable and divisive. Michelle Obama's office said the joke was "inappropriate."

Here's what I don't understand. How can both sides, Republican candidates and Michelle Obama, be upset at the same comment? Given the venue, I don't see a problem.

No comments: