Miss America - Pretty (&) Cool

Miss America 2013 Mallory Hagen - "Careful with that pin!"
I heard a local, female, radio DJ remark that "smart people" are generally not very good looking. I think she was slamming pretty people, inferring that they are bimbos.

 While this may have been true, within my immediate circle, when I was single....wait...I wanted to talk about Miss America.

They had their little show, last night. It was live from Vegas. I should mention that I am completely turned off by lifelong beauty pageant contestants. So - last night, Miss New York wins the top prize. A $50,000 scholarship, a tiara and three pictures on General Tom's Blog!

Her name is Mallory Hagen, a 23 year old who lives in Park Slope,Brooklyn. Until she was 18, she lived in Alabama. (Don't all of those southern girls have three names?) Her talent act was tap dancing to James Brown's tune, "Get Up Off of That Thing." She raised the issue of child sexual abuse in her contestant platform and gave an excellent answer to the question: Should schools hire armed guards in the wake of the Newtown, Conn. shooting? Her response, "I don't think the proper way to fight violence is with violence. I think the proper way is to educate people on guns and the ways we can use them properly. We can lock them up, we can have gun safety classes, we can have a longer waiting period."

Mallory Hagen in an evening gown.

Mallory Hagen - "Showing Off!"
Hagen is the first Miss New York to win the crown since Vanessa Williams did it in '84.

No comments: