Ronn Mott


I've got to stop answering my phone on Sundays. During the week I don't have a choice, but on my lone day off, I really don't need to hear any bad news. I got a call from old buddy, Ronn Mott, yesterday, Sunday. I always enjoy talking with Mott. Somewhere above the BS, you always know where you stand with the guy. Well, Ronn gives me some bad news. He's been working at an oldies station in Terre Haute/Rockville for the past ten years and he's been laid off. Others were also let go including Bryan Thomas (Hayden) - another Terre Haute Radio Celebrity and the sales consultant who's been calling on our business for more than 10 years.

Just last week I was listening to Ronn and he made a comment - on the air - that when a business fails, it rots from above - from the top, down. This makes sense. After all, the big shots do the hiring. They do the managing. If they do their jobs correctly, things thrive. If they do not do their jobs correctly, what happens? Ronn Mott gets laid off.
For those of you who don't know who the hell Ronn Mott is, I'll tell you who the hell he is. He's been in broadcasting for 54 years! Ten of those years at WAXI where he was laid off. The anal cavities who laid him off were not even born when Ronn was knockin' 'em dead at KIOA in Des Moines as Ronn Pepper. Here's a picture of Mott from '62.


Ronn, sorry, man. I've been where you are now - more than once. That's why I left radio. You were WAXI's best weapon in the fight against XM and the satellite jukeboxes.
Idea! -> Let's watch WAXI slide a little further and buy it! I'm thinking that we won't have to wait long!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright, let's get this straight! Ron Mott deserves to keep his job, and probably has forgotten more about Radio than his superiors will ever know. Today's radio DJs are so busy feeding us Today's Best Mix or The Most Variety... they all need to be replaced by pros like Ron. The Wannabes, Imposters and Frauds who pretend to be true talent are all masquerading.. and you know I'm right. Tom was right: buy the station and get radio away from the current gangsters & banksters! Signed, Jethro Tull

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to locate my cousing, Ron Mott!!! I live in Oklahoma City, and was trying to locate him on the WAXI site...but knew something was wrong!! I am from Indaina, born and raised until I graduated from Indiana State Teachers College in 1951 and left for Holloywood, Calif.. Ended up in Oklahoma and on TV & Radio since 1954. Matter of fact, Ron stayed with me for a while when he got out of the Navy...got his first job in radio in Cushing, Okla. and eventually got back home.. So when I didn't find him there my suspicions grew...and I found your site...and that you are a good friend of his. I do not have his home address or phone number, but it you could contact him and have him get in touch with me...I would greatly appreciate it. Tell him his Cousin John in Oklahoma is looking for him. Nice article you wrote...and he deserves that. He is one of the most dedicated people in the world to his profession and life. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hi John It's Daman Mott, Ronn's Nephew. I live in Vacaville California. I'm in the white pages, If you call me I can tell you how to get in touch with Ronn. I told my dad (Gary) and and will let Ronn KNow you are looking for him as well. I only met you once at my Grandma Marsonne's in CLinton. Hope you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Hunter S. Thompson should have included radio in his television quote about it being a long plastic hallway where pimps and thieves run free and good guys die like dogs for no good reason. Ronn, from one former KIOA Good Guy to another, here's wishing the best for you!