Mary J. Blige Burger King Spot Yanked

Mary J. Blige's new commercial for Burger King's Chicken Snack Wraps has been pulled.

The Burger King people say that there is a music licensing issue.

Some African-Americans feel that the commercial is stereotypical and puts blacks in a bad light.

Watch the video by clicking here.

My take? I don't see it. Chicken is harmful to the image of black people? I saw the commercial. She did a good job. I may have a problem with the commercial making the white customer look like a dummy for asking what is "in" a Chicken Snack Wrap. If I were truly offended, I would never demand the removal of the ad. Burger King has a right to promote their chicken creation. I have a right to not buy the stuff.

I think it's time to act like big boys and girls.
By the way, other celebrities, including Salma Hayek and Jay Leno, also are advertising the snack wraps.
UPDATE:  One day later, Burger King apologizes to Blige and claims that it made a mistake by releasing the commercial in an "unfinished" form.

What does this mean?  It means that either Burger King is being run by 12 year olds who don't know what they are doing, or they are trying to get some free, extra mileage on this one.  Who knows?  They may be "playing us" and trying to re-invent mass marketing.

Either way, they may "hit" with the "kids ."  What we are seeing is "marketing" that is being lowered to below the level of its product.  The long range result is that "Madison Avenue" is setting itself back 60 years!    -or more!

No comments: