Behaving Badly

Recently I was photographing a high school basketball game and something happened that bothered me.  Now, understand, I photograph several high school and junior high games per week - easily more than a hundred per season. Typically there is a home team and a visitor team.  Before each game, the starting five players for each are announced.  Last night, during the introduction of the visiting players, the hometown high school students booed.  They booed the players who they were hosting!  I was at half court to shoot the opening tip and couldn't believe it.  I asked the stranger beside me, "Are they really booing?  Who does that?"  It was no big deal to the stranger, a hometown fan. 

No adult supervision intervened.  I point this out because I know that school administrators were there.  The visiting team's school administrators were there.  This was apparently "Business as usual."

This lack of respect bothers me.  This was an athletic competition, not a verbal brawl.  If people act this way at a non-conference high school basketball game, imagine how they will act in real life. 

You'll notice that I didn't mention the name of the school.  I'm doing this to protect myself.  The truth is, I have been kicked out of a high school venue.... but that's another story

General Tom's Blog is now on Facebook!

No comments: