COVID 19 and the real world

It is a tragic thing, this Covid 19.  It's killing people all over the world.  The traditional news media - newspaper & television are treating this like it's the end of the world.
It is not the end of the world.
I wish they would treat the story accordingly.

As many of you know, I work in the media.  I sell advertising for a small radio station located in the American midwest.  My clients are the ones who spend their own money expecting my advertisements to help their businesses.  Usually, they do.  Not all of my clients have "essential" businesses.  For example, I'm friends with a guy who owns a furniture store.  He advertises with me.  He doesn't employ an ad agency middle man - he talks directly to me.  The government is closing him down for the duration of the pandemic.  He is halting his advertising immediately.  I work on commission. This is money that I have already earned that I will never see.  Thank you news media for over hyping this story.  It is my sincere hope that what is happening to me will happen to you and that your joy in reporting the tragic details of this story comes back to bite you in the ass.

I mention that I work for a radio station.  We do not carry any network news because of the constant bias that they spew.  It is insulting to our audience. 

Again, don't get me wrong, I agree that Covid 19 is a serious matter.  Influenza B is also a serious matter and it will probably kill more people this season than Covid 19.  As someone who will probably survive these health issues, I am frustrated by news organizations that spread panic and ultimately affect my income.  So, talking heads, I'm asking you to stop being news-whores.  It's not becoming....and your industry is dying, anyway.

General Tom's Blog is now on Facebook!

No comments: