Goodbye Aunt Jemima! You too, Ben.

A unt Jemima, to me, has always been a premium quality product.  The only problem was that I grew up in a large family and it made sense to use the store brand.  This goes for Uncle Ben's products, too.  The point is that these were and probably still are wonderful products.  They use African-American figures as their trademarks.  If I were black, I would not be saddened or angry at this.  If I felt any emotion, I would be proud that a black person's image is portrayed on a highly successful product.

The corporate big shots at these companies have decided to retire these images.  THIS IS STUPID!  I'm not talking about money.  I'm talking about widening racial divisions.  Are we soo soft that we can't have a black person's image represent a delicious food product?  Do black people actually resent Aunt Jemima or Uncle Ben?  I don't think so.  I think that if you asked a black American if they are offended by this sort of thing, they'd think that the question, itself, was stupid.

As I mentioned, earlier, shouldn't Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben be sources of pride for black people?

I'll tell you this, when this happens, I will go out of my way to avoid the new Aunt Jemima, all Quaker Oats products and PepsiCo (parent companies) products.  You suits are acting stupid and you just lost my business.

General Tom's Blog is now on Facebook!

No comments: